[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 11:27:08 UTC 2005

On Mon 21 Nov, Stig Brautaset wrote:

> On 21 Nov 2005, at 07:19, Nix wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Jim Bailey stated:
> >> Although the sytem generates power which is brilliant, it still
> >> doesn't
> >> manage to meet the best of the Scandanavian efficiencies where the
> >> waste
> >> heat from power generation is used to heat homes and work places.
> >
> > The problem with *that* is that you have to get the heat to the homes,
> > which is difficult if your power plant is out in the middle of
> > nowhere,
> > as most are (Battersea being a notable exception).
> >
> > Now call me a NIMBY but I don't *want* a coal or oil-burning plant
> > nearby because they stink.
>
> True. But this is not always the case in Norway, afaik:
>
> 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Norway#Statistics
>
> Look in particular at the "Electricity - production by source" point.
> Your local power plant in Norway is unlikely to give off vile fumes.
>
> They export the oil so other countries can poison themselves ;)
>
> Stig

   There are other problems. Heathrow airport has a heating system which
pumps high pressure superheated steam around. A heat exchanger in a building
close to Hatton Cross tube failed, putting two people in intensive care for
about a year as they were hit by escaping steam, and boiling water dripping
from the ceiling. They are still receiving skin grafts after more than 5
years.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk