[Gllug] Story about the Lupper worm and linux

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 15:43:49 UTC 2005

Joel Bernstein writes:

>So running crap, insecure, buggy code on your webserver doesn't leave
>it impervious to attack? Shit, hold the front page.
>
>Anybody who gets infected by this, frankly, has it coming to them.

Think back to the "partition table screwup" thread, where I was
extolling the virtues of multiple partions/filesystems per box.

Even were I running insecure, buggy code on my web server (which
I'm not), I still wouldn't be vulnerable to this, as my /tmp
filesystem is mounted noexec, so the exploit would fail. You
can't do that if everything's in a single filesystem...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk