[Gllug] Re: Web Site Creation

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Nov 7 11:20:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 11:14:45AM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Henry Gilbert writes:
>
> >if for just friends and family use HTML 4 -CSS
> >if wanting to look authoriative use XHTML 1.0 Strict and make sure you
> >have that sticker
>
> Err... no. Using XHTML 1.0 Strict is no better than HTML 4.01 Strict.
> The only reasons you might want to use XHTML are buzzword compliance,
> or to try and convince IE's broken rendering engine to display the
> thing properly. But in my experience, using XHTML only confuses IE
> further, so I tend to avoid it. Obviously, others have had different
> experiences. YMMV.

As far as getting good CSS rendering, the important thing is not
so much whether you use HTML / XHTML, but rather whether you have
the correct DOCTYPE definition at the top of your file. This determines
whether the browser renders in 'Quirks mode' or 'Standards mode'.

  http://www.alistapart.com/stories/doctype/
  http://www.quirksmode.org/css/quirksmode.html

If you have mozilla / firefox / galeon, then the 'Page info' panel
should tell you whether the page is rendering in quirks or standards
mode. Obviously the latter is the more desirable mode, but even
then there's a whole bunch of annoying differences in browser CSS
handling :-(

Regards,
Dan.