[Gllug] Re: Web Site Creation

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 12:44:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 11:14 +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Using XHTML 1.0 Strict is no better than HTML 4.01 Strict.
> The only reasons you might want to use XHTML are buzzword compliance,
> or to try and convince IE's broken rendering engine to display the
> thing properly. But in my experience, using XHTML only confuses IE
> further, so I tend to avoid it. Obviously, others have had different
> experiences. YMMV.

I was under the impression that if you use Strict HTML 4.01, ensure you
close even the optional tags and quote (lower-case) attributes then you
practically have XHTML 1.0 Strict anyway. Surely the only difference
left is closing tags like <hr /> and <br /> in XHTML. MSIE can just
about cope with that alright ;)

I agree, most of the time there's no benefit of XHTML over HTML - it's
when one has to start treating the markup as a well-formed XML document
that XHTML becomes useful.

In theory one would assume that converting from ODF to XHTML is more
reliable than to HTML for that very reason...?
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."