[Gllug] BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL Modem

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Nov 7 12:48:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 12:41 +0000, anthony.hill21 at btinternet.com wrote:

> Please would some kind person tell me (i) what type of modem do I need
> to get,

Just get a 4 port (or more if you like) ADSL router.  E.g.

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=adsl+router

and choose the Safecom thingy at 29.95.  You want Ethernet/RJ45 and not
USB.

>  (ii) do I need to get a card (ethernet?) to put inside my Dell
> Dimension

Only if it doesn't already have an Ethernet port.  Most modern computers
do but if you have something older then a basic PCI Ethernet card can be
had for 3 to 4 GBP.

>  and (iii) can I continue to use the Voyager alongside whatever
> new modem I attach to the phoneline?

No - but you can connect several computers to your router.

HTH
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk