[Gllug] partition table screwup

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Tue Nov 1 13:08:19 UTC 2005

Henry Gilbert wrote:
> which led me going to the other extreme
> having just one mount point / and swap

That's actually quite normal in production environments where the loss
of a single machine is irrelavent.

For example, when I worked for Fast Search & Transfer, each search
cluster was setup in such away that more than 50% of the machines would
have to fail before search performance would be affected.

When a machine did fail, it was a case of swapping out whichever
component had failed and powering it back on.  The box would boot,
automatically reinstall it's operating system and software, and just
carry on.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk