[Gllug] Sun OpenSource

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 12:32:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Simon Rumble uttered the following:
> We had a salesguy once who had his secretary print out all his emails,
> and he'd write the response on them and she'd type it in.  This was a
> "New Media" company, mind.  His job was to go out and sell the wonderful
> (erm...) web sites we were building for them, yet he wouldn't be able to
> use Notepad, let alone Outlook.

A thoroughly future-oriented guy, then :)

> Mind you, the guy could sell fridges to Eskimos.  He was very good, even
> if we'd cringe on every sales call when we heard what he was promising.

Selling by lying to the customer is doing both the customer and the
supplier a disservice :(

(I have had to pound this into work's salesguys repeatedly. Each new one
hired seems to think that guessing what the product does and then
promising it, or just promising entirely random things, is a good idea.
I think the idea is that getting the sale is more important than, say,
actually being able to do what we said we'd do or not pissing off the
customer...)

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
 I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk