[Gllug] Wireless Puzzle

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 15:47:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:41:49PM +0000, Steve Nelson wrote:
>  iwconfig ra0 | grep -Ei 'rate|qual'
> Bit Rate:54 Mb/s

Hm.. is this an autoselected rate?

I know I had terrible performance on Linux using madwifi when I told it
to run at 54Mbit/s. Once I'd changed it back to automatic rate
determination, it worked a treat.

> Link Quality=51/100 Signal level=-91 dBm Noise level:-220 dBm

Don't know about OpenBSD, but with madwifi on linux, a link quality of
50 is stupendous.

20 is good, 30 excellent and 40 damn near perfect, according to a source
I can no longer locate.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk