[Gllug] Sony Protected CD's apparently installing rootkits...

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Nov 13 16:45:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Peter Childs uttered the following:
> Of course wether there is any thing actually wrong with what Sony have
> done is actually open to debate.
> If sony are only using loop holes in Microsofts code that Microsoft
> have left in their closed source.

By that definition, the exploitation of bugs which lead to security
holes is not the fault of the exploitee but of the person who left
the holes in there.

That is *not* a direction you want to go in.

(Plus, there's this little thing called `intent'.)

>                                   The only people who can really get
> Sony in trouble is the Virus writers for stealling the interlectual
> property.

What `interlectual property'? The fact of the existence of this
hole? So now it's Mark Russinovich who's at fault, er, no.

The fault is Sony's (and `First 4 Internet's).

> Its good that its come out, Good for open source in the long run.

I don't see any connection to `open source'. Hostile code running as
root on a Linux box can winkle out the location of the sys_call_table
and patch it just as easily.

--
`Holy Google, pray for us sinners now and in the hour of our job interview.'
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk