[Gllug] [ot] suggestions for dvd ripping software

Lee, Paul paul at ma1.se
Wed Nov 2 15:40:07 UTC 2005

Dave Lambley wrote:

> On 11/2/05, Lee, Paul <paul at ma1.se> wrote:
>
>>Dave Lambley wrote:
>>
>>Thanks for that. Tried it but got no sound. After a bit of fiddling
>>arrived at this for ripping some Dr Who DVD's (1.33:1 aspect ratio for
>>`old fashioned` telly programmes)
>

> That's strange, I ripped The Five Doctors DVD and preserved the AC3
> 5.1 surround sound!  Maybe it doesn't like ordinary layer II audio.
>

>>mencoder dvd://1 -aspect 1.33:1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>>vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=694 -vop crop=720:540:0:16 -oac mp3lame
>>-lameopts br=128:vol=9 -o drwho.avi
>

> I'll try that on mine...

Its probably just my setup! You may need to play around with the crop
and scale stuff. Only just getting to grips with that. I was trying to
remove borders on films. There is some useful stuff on mencoder on the
Gentoo site:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mencoder_Introduction_Guide

A while ago I was backing up VHS films (till I got bored with the idea)
using ffmpeg and a Hauppage tv card tuned to the VCR. Worked quite well
and I'm sure it was easier to use :/

Paul
// www.ma1.se //  // www.tbwnet.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk