[Gllug] Re: suse 9.3

Craig Millar gllug at craigmillar.org
Sun Oct 23 16:52:28 UTC 2005

On 23/10/05 17:34 +0100, Diana Scott wrote:
> for updating Firefox, I go to Tools, Extensions then Get More Extensions , then Firefox site - Get updates.
> downloaded file installer but don't know how to install / update it.

Extensions are not Firefox itself - this won't help you update your actual
installation of Firefox. In general I'd say it's best to try and update
things using your distro's own personalised versions of programs. In your
case (assuming you are using a regular pc) you want to get this file here:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/mozilla/firefox/1.0.7/9.3-i386/MozillaFirefox-1.0.7-0.1.i586.rpm

Then update as per my other mail.

Alternatively, as Stuart suggests - this should be available from an update
as the latest changes to firefox are security fixes. I'd fire up Yast
(menu->system->control center(yast)) in kde and play around. Rarely will you
need to get updates to your system by actually going to the website and
locating the software yourself.

As for your memory stick - it *should* be detected by suse. Try and install
digikam which is the last program I used for this sort of thing and seemed
pretty good at it's job, and get it to look for a mass usb storage device.

hth

craig
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk