[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Oct 25 23:31:30 UTC 2005

Alain Williams wrote:
> Part of the problem is that mirrors are updated with rsync, files are copied to the
> mirrors one by one. This means that if someone like me then updates *my* mirror, also by
> rsync, (which I then serve up to my home machines) then I risk not syncing up files
> which are being copied to the mirror.

Mirrors within the centos.org rrdns run with the --delay-updates option.
You wont see pkgs in there untill the entire tree is rsync'ed.

> OK: won't often happen - but getting from 99% to 100% is very difficult. This
> is what Jason & Martin are talking about.

If you run a regular mirror, you should be running rsync every few hours
- and anyway if there is a partial tree in place. yum should and would
error out.

The update process through yum does not start till the packages required
for the update are downloaded first. The chances of system breakage are
not really as high as being made out to be!

- KB

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk