[Gllug] just preaching to the converted !

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Oct 26 09:43:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Tethys announced authoritatively:
> Nix writes:
>
>>(This is just one of the reasons why I prefer *not* to use precompiled
>>binaries. I'm wondering about the feasibility of adding random
>>perturbations to stack frames as well, done with zero overhead by a
>>suitable rand() call in GCC... hm, I shall have to hack that up.)
>
> Yeah, but don't you already have screwy calling conventions anyway?

Yes, but I didn't mention *that* (and I shouldn't take it into account
when considering how others' systems work) because that's one piece of
variation that most people won't have (nor would they want to).

> So even without the stack randomization, exploits won't typically
> work on your systems anyway...

True enough. Strength in depth and all that. :)

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
 I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk