[Gllug] [OT] Phone Scam?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat Oct 29 10:18:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 06:14:46AM -0400, Steve Nelson wrote:
> Chaps,
>
> Probable phone scam... laomao received a text message saying a courier
> had tried to deliver something, please call the provided number to
> arrange re-delivery, citing reference foo.
>
> Calling the number results in a series of believable recorded messages
> and menus... after about 5 minutes of this I became suspicious - no
> company name was ever used, and it just felt wrong
>
> laomao says that she used up over a pound in credit on her phone for
> less than a minute...
>
> The number was 07090297367
>
> I guess there's nothing one can do - I've probably wasted more than 20
> quid and feel a bit gullible - but just making you all aware.

Report it to your phone provider and oftel.

They can do something, but often won't because it means work for them and they also
make money from you loosing it to a scum scammer.

Why not report to the police for good measure.
It won't get you your pound back, but it might make you feel better at helping nail a bastard.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>