[Gllug] ubuntu wireless

Peter Grandi pg_gllug at gllug.for.sabi.co.UK
Tue Oct 18 23:45:21 UTC 2005

>>> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:58:08 +0100 (BST), Jeff Young
>>> <gnusmasx30 at yahoo.co.uk> said:

gnusmasx30> A) I couldn't find the shell where I could type in
gnusmasx30>    command line from the desktop.

The icon looks like a monitor/terminal. Uhm.

gnusmasx30> B ) Can you help me to config my wireless
gnusmasx30> connection? [ ... ]

This explains everything fairly nicely, both using the Ubuntu
GUI WiFi utility, and doing it manually (not for newbies):

  http://Wiki.Ubuntu.com/WiFiHowto

BTW, I have written a slightly technical (and incomplete) intro
to the general concepts here that might help as backgrounder:

  http://WWW.sabi.co.UK/Notes/linuxWiFi.html

gnusmasx30> C) how can i find out whether it can use WEP?

Depends on the card and how well the driver supports it...
Usually they do. You find out usually by trying it :-).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk