[Gllug] ubuntu wireless

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 23:23:07 UTC 2005

On 18/10/05, Jeff Young <gnusmasx30 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a newbie and I am learning to use ubuntu 5.04.
>
> I have a few problems and they are:
>
> A) I couldn't find the shell where I could type in
> command line from the desktop.

Hello Jeff,

When logged onto the Gnome desktop you should be able to right click
the desktop and select the option "New Terminal" (Or something
similar.. this option disappeared in later Ubuntu versions)

This will give you a white window with a cursor waiting for input.

Type the command

sudo -s

It will then ask you for your password. When it returns the prompt if
there are no errors you should have a root shell. That is you can now
enter commands as the super user.

Enter the command

iwconfig

and then

iwlist scanning

Copy and paste the input and send it back

> B ) Can you help me to config my wireless connection?
> I have an IP address and a password from my wireless
> ASDL modem router but don't know where to config with
> ubuntu.

Which model of wireless ADSL router do you have? Do you know how to
poke around in the config for it?

> C) how can i find out whether it can use WEP?

I guess it would say in the web interface (or some admin interface) of
the ADSL device but it's impossible to say without knowing what you
have

> Please advise.

Hope to help

--