[Gllug] suse 9.3 hibernation

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 22:52:01 UTC 2005

Hi Diana,

After a bit of reading and researching in the web.
I got to the conclusion that hibernating - otherwise known as
software-suspend in Linux
is still going further testing and development.

In short, it seems that it is not perfect yet - so I personally
wouldn't push it too much at this stage. Also software-suspends
depends very much on the machine.

There are two types of software-suspends

Suspend-to-Memory (Machine is still on)
Suspend-to-Disc (Machine is switched off)

A highly-charged technical paper on the subject (which I am about to
read) can be found here:
http://suspend2.net/

I just have this feeling that it might be one of those challenges that requires
performing open-surgery to the operating-system.

My sister has a Samsung P28 laptop, but I installed Fedora on hers.
I have to admit - when it came to offer also software-suspend as part
of the package.
I was much of a coward and shyed away :(

If I come across something more concrete and that works out of the box.
I'll let you know.

Meanwhile I will carry on with the tech-reading ..
seriously stimulating ...
.. ah the joys of being a geek 8^)

regards

Henry