[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Oct 27 08:32:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Tethys wrote:

> >I do understand it and I'm of the opinion that it's dangerous and makes
> >your distros unsuitable for enterprise applications.
>
> You still haven't explained this. Where's the danger?

Let's say I am running software X. I have installed the minimum necessary
amount of software to support this for the configuration I need and
carried out the necessary security and stability analysis which is part of
the documentation deemed necessary for internal support.

Now you run an update process to ensure you have the latest version of
your software - in response to a security announcement relevant to your
setup. In doing so additional software to meet completely dependancies is
installed without any further prompting and without any warning.

That new software hasn't been included in your assessments of the system
you are operating.

> But it doesn't do that. If it did, I'd be in complete agreement
> with you. Running "yum update" does *not* install new software,
> unless the updated version has a new dependency. In that respect,
> my understanding is that it behaves identically to "apt-get update".
> Yet you seem quite happy to run that...

Apt-get update will show a list of packages to be updated and in a
separate section will show a list of any new packages to be installed in
order to meet dependancies. It will then ask for confirmation that it's OK
to go ahead and install them.

That last step makes a difference and is not standard with yum.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       2Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk