[Gllug] Reversing an SSH connection

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Oct 25 00:04:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 12:20:57AM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> (b) though intrigues me. If I ssh from a Debian box behind a firewall to
>     a box here, what is the "simple" method of reversing the connection
>     and allowing me to log back in to the remote box behind their
>     firewall?

Simple.  Forward port 22 from box A behind the firewall to port X on box
B outside of it.  You can then connect to box A by connecting to port X
on box B.  More usefully, you can now use SSH port forwarding to connect
to arbitrary services behind the firewall, by going via port X on box B.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?