[Gllug] Re: Memory usage

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Fri Oct 14 08:31:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 11:36:34PM +0200, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> But you are prepared to put up with crappy performance by buying HT
> nonsense instead of a proper SMP setup? :)

Purely out of interest, for use cases such as J2EE app servers or large
SQL RDBMS, on SMP boxes using HT-capable Intel CPUs, is there any reason
to /not/ enable HT? I realise the performance is nowhere near that of an
extra CPU but rather than having quad-CPU performance wouldn't you get
'quad+a little bit' performance? Isn't HT slightly more efficient?

I've not read/seen much on this sort of question...

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk