[Gllug] small hard disk problem

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 22:25:04 UTC 2005

On 10/4/05, Kurt Goodliff <kurt at lokdar.co.uk> wrote:
> How old is the machine you installing the disk into?

Hmm.  Not new.

Compaq AP200 Workstation, 500Mhz Pentium III

Retired on October 2, 2000 according to hp.com page

http://tinyurl.com/82u24

> I've had similar problems with installing large disks into older machine
> where the bios is limited. Easiest way around
> it is to install a seperate IDE controller (I'm using a Innovision EIO
> AP1680 PCI ATA133 RAID (RAID 0 1)
> Controller Card, which is rubbish at raiding things but costs about £12
> and gives you two additional IDE ports

sounds interesting...

> Hope this helped.

yup, many thanks.

next problem is that I stuck another pci network card in at the same
time, and now the original network card won't respond.  Remove the new
card and the old one springs back to life.  irq? grr
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk