[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Oct 26 10:30:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 11:01:53AM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Jason Clifford wrote:
> >The biggest problem was a change in the behaviour of mysql with bdb tables
> >supported - it was requiring far too much memory and malloc was failing at
> >mysql start time hence killing mysqld.
>
> Is this an i586 machine by any chance ? the only machines I was aware of
> with bdb + mysql issues were some MiniITX machines that fell over flat
> with exactly the same symptoms...

You had i586 running on a CentOS / RHEL system ? RHEL is not designed to
run on i586 architecture, although you can build yourself a kernel for the
i586 arch. Even with a i586 kernel though, GLibC NPTL supported does not
work on anything less than an i686 CPU. BDB usually relies on NPTL for
process-shared mutexes, so if you're using BDB on non-NPTL system all hell
will break loose because locking will be fubar.

Dan.