[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Oct 26 10:31:07 UTC 2005

Alain Williams wrote:
>>Mirrors within the centos.org rrdns run with the --delay-updates option.
>>You wont see pkgs in there untill the entire tree is rsync'ed.
>
> Thanks for that & for the work that you put into centos.

:)

> Could I suggest that you put something on the web site that contains some of
> what you have talked about on the list in the last couple of days, include a
> FAQ on running a local mirror (how to do it, what to change in in-house config
> files to point to the local mirror, ...) I did not find anything about this when
> I did this 6 months ago[**]. It should not take you long & might go some way to
> addressing some problems that people on this list have evidentally experienced.

I'll try to do that, and push the website maintainer as well.

There is some info w.r.t mirrors at :
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=22 - I'll try and
expand on that to include setting up local inhouse mirrors and howto mod
yum and up2date configs to point there.

While on the subject - we need a new website, the present one is not
really the most organised and well designed ( laidout ? ) setup....
anyone wants to help out ?

> [**] I ended up using Dag Wieers yam s/ware, which seems to work. Is there something
> better ?

Yam seems to be pretty good, it lets you share the os tree without
expanding out the iso's - which can save major space. If thats working
for you, just stay with that.

But, I just use rsync myself... and just get the os tree, without the
iso's since you dont need the iso's to install anyway ( either use the
boot.iso from the images/ directory or pxe boot the machine ).

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk