[Gllug] socket buffer overrun

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 12:51:59 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm looking into a problem where data transfer between two servers is
slow. Does the following mean that the receive buffer is too small?

During data transfer the following increments:

[root at myhost root]# netstat -ants | grep "buffer over"
    43539 packets pruned from receive queue because of socket buffer overrun

Should rmem_max be larger? This is on a 1000fdx autoneg interface with
txqueuelen:1000.

[root at myhost root]# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem
4096    87380   174760

I am a tcp tuning novice so apologies if this makes little sense!

kernel version is 2.4.21.

thanks,

ben.

--