[Gllug] Removing LVM (RHEL4)

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Oct 18 09:56:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 10:51:00AM +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'd like to remove the LVM created when I installed RHEL4.
> However, the man page for lvremove states that you can't
> remove an LV that has something mounted on it.  The root
> file system is mounted there!
>
> Does anyone know of a workround?

Copy entire contents of your root filesystem onto a backup device,
(preferrably while booted from a rescue disk so the root fs is not
in use). Then re-create your root filesystem without LVM, finally
copy everything back onto it. Pretty slow & tedious really :-( And
besides, LVM is great - hell I even put swap onto LVM these days !

Dan.