[Gllug] internet connection

Peter Grandi pg_gllug at gllug.for.sabi.co.UK
Wed Oct 19 16:25:55 UTC 2005

>>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:10:46 +0100,
>>> pg_gllug at gllug.for.sabi.co.UK (Peter Grandi) said:

[ ... ]

>> Realistic people like Linus realize that things work out like
>> this pretty well, for example he previously chose Alpha as
>> his desktop machine and now a dual CPU G5 precisely to avoid
>> the dangers of a non-dominant configuration not being his
>> itch: [ ... ] So he has deliberately chosen to make PPC, 64
>> bit, big endian and SMP (read: non x86, non 32-bit,
>> non-little endian, non-UP) itches that he must personally
>> scratch [ ... ]

It occurred to me that it may be amusing to someone a mention of
Henry Spencer's 10 C programming commandments, in particular the
10th:

  http://groups.Google.com/group/comp.lang.c/msg/08c8c117dd2d13b6?dmode=source&hl=en

   «Thou shalt foreswear, renounce, and abjure the vile heresy
    which claimeth that ``All the world's a VAX'', and have no
    commerce with the benighted heathens who cling to this
    barbarous belief, that the days of thy program may be long
    even though the days of thy current machine be short.»

I would guess that Linus has read the commandments (some of
which I don't entirely share).

But that they are dated 1987 shows nicely illustrates that my
points about monocultures and ''scratch my itch'' logic, and in
the context of monocultures, are far from new, but still current,
which means it is an eternal battle.

[ ... ]

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk