[Gllug] [Off Topic] Digital SLRs

Lyons, Myke Myke.Lyons at cmtww.com
Fri Oct 7 11:17:30 UTC 2005

On
> Behalf Of Martin A. Brooks
> Sent: 07 October 2005 11:12
> To: Steve Nelson; Greater London Linux User Group
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] [Off Topic] Digital SLRs
>
> Steve Nelson wrote:
> > Chaps,
> >
> > A friend and I are giving serious thought to investing in a decent
> > digital SLR.  Not quite EOS 5d standard - really looking at either
the
> > Nikon D70s or the Canon EOS 20D - which seem to be about 800 quid.
>
> I bought a 300D which I'm more than happy with.  Some example photos:
>
> http://www.hinterlands.org/rainbow.jpg  (low res)
> http://www.hinterlands.org/rainbow2.jpg  (low res)
> http://photos.hinterlands.org/p14445797.html
> http://photos.hinterlands.org/p17421885.html
> http://photos.hinterlands.org/p10333836.html
> http://photos.hinterlands.org/p9021719.html
>
> The basic 18-55 lens you get with it is of limited use, consider
buying
> a macro and zoom lens, too.
>

> --

	I own a Nikon D70s and have to say that I have never been so
amazed with shear quality of images.  I hadn't owned a Nikon camera
before (actually owned a Canon non-dSLR) but after 3 months of research
I chose the Nikon.  Here are some of the reasons I went "Nikon".

	-Metal chassis, I thought that as a beginner that I wouldn't
notice but this camera feels and is solidly built.  The Canon is all
plastic and feels it.
	-View finder extends from the back of the camera more than the
350, I am left eye dominant and didn't enjoy the nose squish every time
I took a photo.  I even noticed this when using my right eye.
	-Size, when seeing other dSLRs I expected that I wouldn't be
purchasing anything for my pockets, the Nikon is a good size not too big
not too small.  I found the Canon to be too small for my hands [not to
brag ;)]
	-Buttons for menu controls have a firmer feel.  I didn't like
the wheel that the Canon had, and after visit/using the one in the Apple
store, I am convinced that I made the right decision.  Theirs was
probably knackered (so it may not be a fair comparison since thousands
of people have probably used/abused that one).
	-Lastly since I was springing for the camera so more lenses
would be a later purchase.  I found and still find the 18-70mm kit lens
to be fantastic as an all around lens.  While people I know and have
read here, say the 18-55mm Canon to be a bit lacking.

	After purchasing my camera I did some follow up research and
noticed that some people found the Canon to be a better choice for
sports photography, and the Nikon better for landscape.  I haven't
really had a chance to photograph too many fast moving things but I
[coming clean here] jumped up and down taking photos for a self portrait
contest and the results were very good.  Whatever camera you end up
purchasing enjoy it.  They are both very very good cameras, but since
you asked I thought I'd share.  If you do however go with the Nikon,
ping me and I could give you some good lens ideas.  There are some great
bargains out there but without the proper research you could end up
burned.

.myke

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk