[Gllug] Printing with Canon i965

Admin admin at sjwcc.com
Fri Oct 7 15:05:23 UTC 2005

Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> Admin wrote:
>
>> I have a Canon i965 usb printer and it seems the only driver I can
>> find is the TurboPrint one. Does anyone know
>> of an alternative? Preferably free.
>

> The CUPS driver database claims to know nothing about this printer,
> you might be out of luck.
>
>> Eventually I will share it via Samba so I can print from Windows, are
>> there any issues with this?
>

> No, assuming your printer is supported.

Just for completeness, I will let you know of my success

I downloaded the TurboPrint driver and installed it. It is free (as in
beer) for personal use. I ran the setup
program, printed the test page and it worked. I then amended my smb.conf
file as per the samba.org
howto and after a little fiddling that works as well. Just needed to
make the printer printable and change
the path for the printer. Hey presto I can now print from my windows
machine. I have a slight issue
with the Windows driver not getting picked up from the server but I have
the cd so that is not a problem.

I have finally got around to having my printer attached to the always-on
Linux server. Good old Ubuntu
I get happier every day I try to do something with it, it is so easy.

Simon
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk