[Gllug] Can anyone spare a SUSE 7.x set?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Oct 10 11:29:12 UTC 2005

Justin Perreault wrote:
> I have been focusing the past year on Fedora with the intention of
> achieving a pass on the RHCE exam. With Fedora Core 4 the floppy disk
> install option was removed.

Why do you need a floppy disk based installer anyway ? I am sure that
device will boot from Cd-Rom ? And perhaps CentOS might make a better
'host distro' for your RHCE training.

> I currently have an HP Omnibook 900 (PIII 450, 320MB, 6GB) with a TEAC
> CD-RW via PCMCIA and two Sitecom Ethernet card one is the Fast Ethernet
> PC Card the other a PC Card Bus. I have been trying to either get the
> CD-RW or the Network cards to allow access to main packages. I am able
> to repartition the WIN98 on the drive to free up space for packages.

humm.. win98, loadlin should still be able to boot your installer images
( use the pxeimages ).. and get things started off for you. Anaconda can
install off the iso images hosted on the machine itself. Use the
'askmethod' option when booting the installer, then select local hard disk.

> DSM floppy install with main packages on an CF card via USB

You can always just boot off the usb ( if the device supports that ).
And while anaconda [1] does not support installs off USB media, you can
either mount the usb as a local hdd with the iso's or the other route is
to directly mount the install tree under /mnt/source and install from
there. Both options are known to work ( I've not tried either, dont have
access to a 2.2GB usb storage device )

> GRUB enabled ISO booting from the hard drive

once again, grub can boot the pxeimages [2] for you, you can then
continue install from wherever you like, over the net, over a local iso
dump etc.

> CentOS as RH Enterprise Linux might have kept a floppy install.

no Floppy based installer for either CentOS4 or RHEL4 -> kernel size is
to blame. CentOS3, however still has images you can squeeze onto a floppy.

[1] = Fedora / RHEL / CentOS
[2] look in /images/pxeboot/ on cd1
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk