[Gllug] [OT] Phone Scam?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Oct 29 13:16:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 11:42:03AM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Not that it helps but there have been quite a few of these 0709 number
> scams reported recently, take a look through some of these :
> http://tinyurl.com/7rnl3

These all refer to the same, probably bogus, email which has been
passed around claiming that it's possible to redirect to a GBP 20 /
min number.  (The most that BT will let you be charged per minute for
a number in the UK is 1.50).  I find no evidence that it's possible to
redirect people automatically, or even by "pressing 9".

Go to this URL http://www.icstis.org.uk/icstis2002/default.asp?node=-1
and search down for '0709'.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of other scams involving phone
numbers - for example rogue diallers and various uses of
reverse-charged text messages.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.