[Gllug] [OT] Phone Scam?

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 14:16:28 UTC 2005

On 10/29/05, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 11:42:03AM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > Not that it helps but there have been quite a few of these 0709 number
> > scams reported recently, take a look through some of these :
> > http://tinyurl.com/7rnl3
>
> These all refer to the same, probably bogus, email which has been
> passed around claiming that it's possible to redirect to a GBP 20 /
> min number.  (The most that BT will let you be charged per minute for
> a number in the UK is 1.50).  I find no evidence that it's possible to
> redirect people automatically, or even by "pressing 9".

No sure - no-one seriously believes these £50.00 stories... but what I
experienced wasn't an urban myth - it happened.

Also google turned up a report of someone experience precisely the
same - dated 4 days ago.  Interesting.

As for how much I was charged... I was charged £1.50 for the entire
call - and from what I understood from NTL that was a fixed charge.

So nothing to cry about, but the interesting question is why on earth
the 'scammer' does it?  And do they make much money from it?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk