[Gllug] Re: creating a backup machine (my SQL)

Craig Millar gllug at craigmillar.org
Tue Oct 4 14:24:06 UTC 2005

On 04/10/05 14:58 +0100, munir wrote:
> In addition I would like to update
> the backup (Database) machine once or twice a day!? The allpilcation
> connected to the mySQL uses ODBC !

I'm not sure if i understand you correctly, but you are looking to back up
the entire system including system files, or just the database? If the
database, why not look at replication, it's simple to set up and works a
treat.

Of course you still need to do a regular backup of the slave
server (mysqldump) as what runs on the master will shortly thereafter be run
on the slave. There's a nice and simple explanation of it all here:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/06/16/MySQLian.html

hth
craig
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk