[Gllug] just preaching to the converted !

Chris Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 22 11:43:34 UTC 2005

paul wrote:

> I still dont think
> that UNDER IDEAL CIRCUMSTANCES, windows 2000
> Advanced server is that bad - but these days who
> can use it as we don't have ideal circumstances.

Win 2000 addressed most of the problems with NT4, but still didn't work
properly.  The list of unresolved bugs, errors and weird unreliabilities
  would fill a large book!

> By my own observations
> I am beginning to conclude that windows has been the
> victim of its own success but if Linux became as big
> as microsoft OS's have been - would it too suffer as bad?

No.  The underlying structure of Linux (and all the other Unix - based
OSs) makes it an ideal OS for a hostile networked environment.  It was
originally designed as a multi-user, secure OS, unlike any of the MS
offerings, where these facilities were just tagged on later.  The
"security" structure of any version of Windows (including "Vista" or
whatever it's called this week) is such that it is not possible to make
it (in any way) secure.  Abusing any Windows box is trivial!

The MS method of "development" is just to build on "their" previous OS,
rather than do a ground-up design.  This is why there is still stolen
TCP/IP code in the Windows kernel (I'm not sure if anyone at MS actually
knows how it /should/ work!).

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk