[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

john levin john at technolalia.org
Fri Oct 21 23:22:41 UTC 2005

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Tethys wrote:
>

>>Or when you work for one of the many companies where Debian simply isn't
>>an option (and there are many). Or when you need a stable OS that isn't
>>4 years out of date. Ubuntu may be a viable alternative, though.
>

> After they make an official "enterprise server" release yes. That's not
> planned for another year though if I understood Jeff rightly.
>
> Still I am convinced that Ubuntu may well be the way to go when it
> happens.
>
> Jason

Ubuntu have just released Ubuntu Server 5.10 (the first Ubuntu Server
release):
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2005-October/000042.html
which will be supported for 18 months.

The enterprise server release - which will be supported for five years -
is due in 6 months time, as part of the 'Dapper Drake' flock:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperGoals
(The desktop version will be support for 3 years.)

And yes, Ubuntu is the way to go!
(cue distro flame war)

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk