[Gllug] Apache 2 vs. 1.3 charset problems

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 22:54:44 UTC 2005

Russell Howe wrote:

> It exists in 1.3 too, IIRC.
>
> Windows is almost certainly using Windows-1252 encoding (or codepage
> 850). You could try ISO-8859-1 or -15, but I'd bet it's 1252.

The 1.3 and 2.0 versions of Apache I'm referring to both have default
configurations as far as the MIME types and charsets are concerned but 1.3
handles the windows-1252 encoded pages gracefully while 2.0 doesn't.

I solved the problem by having the client republish the Excel-HTML files
with a UTF-8 encoding which seemed to keep Apache 2.0 happy.

Garry
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk