[Gllug] blacklisted mail servers

Kurt Goodliff kurt at lokdar.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 00:22:36 UTC 2005

Adrian McMenamin wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 22:50 +0100, paul wrote:
>

>>If a mail server is blacklisted by a company, but the people running the
>>server are not guilty of spamming - I.E: they have been used as a spamming
>>relay, does all mail get blocked or is it dependent upon who blacklists you?
>>

>No mail will be blocked unless someone or something intervenes to block
>it.
>
>So if your ISP filters mail for you it may block mail from a known
>spammer. If you run your own mailserver it is up to you which mail you
>let through.

Hi Adrain

Sorry, I didn't recieve the original post so if I've misunderstood the
question please ignore me. (The fact that I didn't recieve it have
nothing to do with you mail server ;P )

If your server is blacklisted as an open relay incoming mail shouldn't
be blocked. However if you send email out to a client and thier ISP or
Anti-spam software is making use of a blacklists (that you happen to be
listed on) your mail may not reach them as your server is listed as a
threat.

For example if you send an email to me and my anti-spam software/ISP is
checking emails against a blacklist I shouldn't recieve your email.

http://rbls.org/

This site basically checks against a bunch of lists and lets you know if
your listed on the Internet or not, if you are on one go to the site and
follow thier instructions on getting yourself off thier list. However
you should ensure that your server is no longer an open relay as this
will only get you into more trouble.

Good Luck

Kurt

P.S. If you've been blacklisted by a private company and not an internet
blacklist you would need to contact the company. However if you don't
send mail to the company there shouldn't be a problem since they should
be the only people not able to recieve you're emails.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk