[Gllug] just preaching to the converted !

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 15:54:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 16:44 +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:

> Most of the problems associated with the Windows platform derive from it's
> being inherently a non-connected single user system that is now being
> deployed in multiuser, hostile networked environments.

Don't think you can really say that about Windows NT and its descendants
in that they were designed to be used by multiple users from the word go
(though they did lock the user into the display so they were not as
flexible as Unix-a-like systems).

I am not any sort of OS expert but I think the problems are pretty much
rooted in the closed source model rather than anything else. If MS had
ever been able to use the microkernel nature of NT and successors
(rather than locking all the same microkernels in the same address
space) it could have been great - but then so could the Hurd :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk