[Gllug] EVMS under Fedora Core 3

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Fri Oct 14 16:16:34 UTC 2005

Firstly: update on the bad blocks issue that I questioned the list about
recently.  I rescued all the data from the filesystem using dd, losing
only a few files, and then tested the underlying disks using repeated
badblocks -w tests (while using EVMS/LVM2 to move the other partitions
on the disks around so I could test the whole disk area).  All came up
clear, and smartctl checks out too so I think the disk must now have
remapped all bad blocks.

Secondly: after unwrapping smartd I am now concerned about the disk on
which I have my root filesystem.  I want to move the root filesystem
onto EVMS so I can manage it, take snapshots, etc.  Under Ubuntu this
was a snap, but now I run FC3 the kernel doesn't seem to be patched with
evms which makes managing the root partition with it a pain.

I have found these instructions
(http://www.grack.com/news/2005/EVMS.html) for making the move, but I am
concerned that if I do this, I can't continue to use FC3's update
process to manage kernel upgrades.

Has anyone successfully got EVMS managing a root partition under FC3 or
can explain how I can do this while still managing kernel upgrades with
yum?

Many thanks,
jack