[Gllug] EVMS under Fedora Core 3

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Oct 14 16:28:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 05:16:34PM +0100, Jack Bertram wrote:
> Secondly: after unwrapping smartd I am now concerned about the disk on
> which I have my root filesystem.  I want to move the root filesystem
> onto EVMS so I can manage it, take snapshots, etc.  Under Ubuntu this
> was a snap, but now I run FC3 the kernel doesn't seem to be patched with
> evms which makes managing the root partition with it a pain.

Fedora Core kernels include LVM-2 which provides (more-or-less) the
same functionality as you'd get with EVMS. Is there a particular
capability you need from EVMS, which is missing in LVM-2 ? I know at
some point in the past there have been some problems with snapshots of
root filesystems with LVM2 - I'd hope they're fixed by now but don't
have a box handy to validate...

Regards,
Dan.