[Gllug] dual voip + landline phone for linux

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 23:05:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 11:40:14PM +0100, Andy Farnsworth wrote:
> Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 12:42:25PM +0100, Martin N Stevens wrote:

<snip>
> Ben,
>
> Mainly correct, your  POTS card should be swapped with your PC-Asterisk
> to be correct as the network goes through the PC before getting to the
> pots card.

Yes, good point.

> You can get a cheap pots card which is really a voice modem for about
> £15 however the quality of the voice across it is abysmal, fine for
> testing and developing, but you DON'T want to use it live.  Another
> option (more expensive) is to get the Digium card with 1FXO and 3 FXS
> ports giving you the ability to have 3 normal pots phones and one land
> line.  The digium cards have Excelent sound quality.  Then the other
> option is to use an ATA device (analog telephone adapter) such as the
> SPA-3000 which I have shown configured below.
>
>               adsl
>           router/firewall
>          /---------------\
>          |               |
>      SPA-3000            PC
>          |             asterisk
>    /--------------\
>    |              |
>  FXO port       FXS Port
>   PSTN Line       Normal POTS Phone
>

> SPA-3000 costs £80 or less
> normal POTS phone £5-10
> Soft VOIP phone Free (see iaxphone or others)
>

> Then add VOIP phones as you go along.
>
> Andy Farnsworth
>
> --

Andy,

Thanks for taking the time to author such a comprehensive reply. Much
appreciated.

If I go for the ATA and an analogue phone, or digium card + FXS + analogue
(to begin with) would this limit the availability of features? I'm not sure
how featureful your average VOIP phone (like a grandstream) is compared
to analogue phones of the same price.

My last phone just died. I bought it for £15 about 5 years ago, and the only
feature it had was redial! I don't want but an ATA and a new anaolgue phone
only to regret the loss of features. Maybe I'm just getting too excited
about the possibilities - after all, I hardly ever used redial...

Thanks,

Ben.

--
Registered Linux user number 339435