[Gllug] dual voip + landline phone for linux

Martin N Stevens budgester at budgester.com
Wed Oct 26 14:29:11 UTC 2005

> If I go for the ATA and an analogue phone, or digium card + FXS + analogue
> (to begin with) would this limit the availability of features? I'm not sure
> how featureful your average VOIP phone (like a grandstream) is compared
> to analogue phones of the same price.

To be honest, most of the functionallity will be in the asterisk box,
rather than the phone. One thing you generally have to watch out for
with VOIP phones is that they need power, where as a standard analog
phone doesn't.

So once you have asterisk setup you can do a hell of a lot.

Think about the possibilities of using asterisk and misterhouse together :-)

To learn about asterisk just get it set up on a box and start messing
around with softphones. In fact dump the phones altogether and get a
bluetooth head set, dongle and softphone for that truly star trek
feeling, add an IR reciever and make calls from a remote control.

Regards

Martin
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk