[Gllug] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Re: Memory usage

Joe Auerbach JoeA at netwalk.com
Thu Oct 13 11:55:15 UTC 2005

Peter Childs wrote:

> Hmm Reply to my own message when it sits in some mail exchange for 2
> 1/2 hours!
>
>I've just tried ps -FA --sort resident and discovered that openoffice
>is a proabable cause as it seamed to be taking up about 1/3 of my
>memory after only one night in usage.
>I'm going to try doing somthing about this bloatware but I'm not
>currently sure what.

What are youusing openoffice for?  IS it just for writer?  If so, use
abiword.  It's much smaller and works fine for most writing.  Only use
OO when you really need it.

Other thought, since I assume you're running ltsp, the nice thing about
openoffice is that while it takes up a lot of memory, the ammount it
uses draps dramatically for each extra box using it, since it leaves a
nice footprint on the server.  So you might want to think about getting
a little more memory to fund it.

--

joe auerbach
systems administrator