[Gllug] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Re: Memory usage

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 20:30:46 UTC 2005

On 13/10/05, Joe Auerbach <JoeA at netwalk.com> wrote:
> Peter Childs wrote:
>
> > Hmm Reply to my own message when it sits in some mail exchange for 2
> > 1/2 hours!
> >
> >I've just tried ps -FA --sort resident and discovered that openoffice
> >is a proabable cause as it seamed to be taking up about 1/3 of my
> >memory after only one night in usage.
> >I'm going to try doing somthing about this bloatware but I'm not
> >currently sure what.
> >
> What are youusing openoffice for?  IS it just for writer?  If so, use
> abiword.  It's much smaller and works fine for most writing.  Only use
> OO when you really need it.

Well yes they do only use writer, Unfortunately I don't use OpenOffice
much at all it the users! People who like features that are only in
Word and even openoffice will not cope with some of our legacy word
documents (like whole paragraphs at vertical)

> Other thought, since I assume you're running ltsp, the nice thing about
> openoffice is that while it takes up a lot of memory, the ammount it
> uses draps dramatically for each extra box using it, since it leaves a
> nice footprint on the server.  So you might want to think about getting
> a little more memory to fund it.

Hmm yes I've already moved openoffice off the main database server,
anyone wishing to use it can use another "server" which happens to be
using the memory we bought incorrectly for the server! Its desktop we
got cheaply with the 2Gb of memory we got to upgrade the server but it
was the wrong stuff! The server now only runs services (Postgres (most
of the work), Jabber, Ltsp Boot, nfs, etc) xdm runs else where that
means no apps hence a constant memory footprint!
Yes we are using ltsp as this thread is being partially cross posted.
Open Office is still slow however!

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk