[Gllug] installing Lexmark E232 laser printer

Andy Wuensche andy at ddlab.org
Fri Oct 21 10:50:13 UTC 2005

I bought a Lexmark E232 laser printer, compatible with Suse9.0.
I'm in touch with the Lexmark help line but so far no
success in getting the printer to work - they don't know linux.
I installed the latest Lexmark drivers for Suse 9.0 from www.lexmark.co.uk,
then as root
rpm -ivh print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.rpm
then ran setup.lexprint
got....
SuSE Linux [ 9.0 ] Distribution.
Setup complete!
trying to print something at this point didn't work.
next I tried YAST:  Control CentreHarware/Printer/
Lexmark is listed, but not E232 among the models.
There is an option to "add PPD file to database" but I don't
know where this file is.
Actually I don't have a clue which options to select in YAST.
I tried a few combinations.
clicking [test] i can print a test page from "Test text printing" but just one
line, other lines dissappear off to the right. I can also "Print Buffer" from
emacs, but with the same problem.
"Test graphical printing" did not work, nor "Postscript Print Buffer"
from emacs.
.ps, .pdf files - no luck

any help greatly appreciated
Andy Wuensche