[Gllug] installing Lexmark E232 laser printer

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Oct 21 11:04:25 UTC 2005

Andy Wuensche wrote:
> I bought a Lexmark E232 laser printer, compatible with Suse9.0.
> I'm in touch with the Lexmark help line but so far no
> success in getting the printer to work - they don't know linux.
> I installed the latest Lexmark drivers for Suse 9.0 from www.lexmark.co.uk,
> then as root
> rpm -ivh print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.rpm

If you do "rpm -ql print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86 | less" (assuming I've
spelt it right) then you'll get a list of files you can scroll through
("q" to quit). If one of those is a PPD file then that will help with
the bit below.

> then ran setup.lexprint
> got....
> SuSE Linux [ 9.0 ] Distribution.
> Setup complete!
> trying to print something at this point didn't work.
> next I tried YAST:  Control CentreHarware/Printer/
> Lexmark is listed, but not E232 among the models.
> There is an option to "add PPD file to database" but I don't
> know where this file is.

Do you know if Suse run "cups" for their printing?

Also - this URL is a good one to have: http://www.linuxprinting.org/
Although your model is not listed, there is at least one mention of it
http://www.linuxprinting.org/pipermail/lexmark-list/2004q3/002694.html

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd