[Gllug] creating a backup machine (my SQL)

Pooly pooly7 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 20:43:38 UTC 2005

Hi,

2005/10/4, munir <munir at 3adl.com>:
> Hello all,
>
> Can some pls advise me how I can create a backup machine (BSD 3.2) which is
> only running mySQL. I would like the new machine to have all the same
> attributes/permissions as the original one. In addition I would like to update
> the backup (Database) machine once or twice a day!? The allpilcation
> connected to the mySQL uses ODBC !

You could set up replication, it would an easy solution.
If the machine goes down, a script that change hostname and IP for the
NIC should do the trick of swaping the database (with some downtime on
the clients side though). That's what we use at my office, and it
works well. (Results will depend on your own setup ! )

--
Pooly
Webzine Rock : http://www.w-fenec.org/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk