[Gllug] Qmail update - now titled "how do I turn off some of the authentictation"

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Tue Oct 25 16:54:48 UTC 2005

Hi,

Following on from my email about problems connecting to a qmail server
 from ADSL I did some checks using DIG to check the reverse DNS and I get a
response in milliseconds.

So I then did a tcpdump looking for traffic from the IP address I was
sending mail from and notice the following:

17:38:52.898030 IP mymailhostIP.57422 > theADSLIP.auth: S
3456474250:3456474250(0) win 5840 <mss 1460,sackOK,timestamp 941018420
0,nop,wscale 2>

Repeated about 4 times, taking about 30 seconds before it then sends the
SMTP HELO message.

I guess as the adsl router isn't replying to requests on the auth port
then it tries a few times then gives up?

Does anyone know how to stop qmail (which I presume is doing it) from
initiating this enquiry?

To stop mail relay, users have to authenticate using smtp authentication,
so I'm happy its reasonably secure.

Cheers

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk