[Gllug] Linux Domain controller - XP clients can't find it

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Tue Oct 25 16:55:27 UTC 2005

paul wrote:
> I'm sure Ive had this setup working before but I was
> just testing Linux as a Domain controller with 2
> test clients configured as XP machines - but the XP
> computers can't find a domain controller at logon time
> or when I try to join them to the domain.
> What's the most likely cause ?

There are dozens of "likely" causes.  You've given us zero information
about the physical setup, logical setup and your own diagnostics to
identify the problem.  Try to imagine that we're not in the room with
you and therefore can't see what exactly you're trying to do.

Are all the machines switched on?  Are they plugged into the network?
Can the XP machines see the linux box by any other protocol?  Can you
ping the server from the client?  The client from the server?  Can one
client ping another?

Help us to help you. :)

Mart.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk