[Gllug] [OT] Phone Scam?

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Sat Oct 29 15:00:12 UTC 2005

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 03:10:55PM +0100, Paul Cupis wrote:
>>>Since it's not a premium number I also don't understand how the owner
>>>of the number can make money from them.
>>
>>There are ways.
>
> ... which are what?

The rules specify the that the end-user of the telephone number cannot
receive any revenue from it. That does not meean the customer of the
telco cannot - for example PatientLine receive revenue on their 070
numbers, but that cannot pass money onto the actual patients receiving
the calls.

We may have slightly different definitions of "owner", btw.

One can also imagine how a reseller or service provider can receive
revenue from a telco for 070 numers as long as they do not pass revenue
on to their end-users.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk