[Gllug] just preaching to the converted !

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Oct 21 16:25:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Tethys wrote:

> >> I am beginning to conclude that windows has been the
> >> victim of its own success but if Linux became as big
> >> as microsoft OS's have been - would it too suffer as bad?
> >
> >No it wouldn't.
>
> Wrong. It would. Linux certainly has a better set of foundations to build
> on than Windows, and has a head start because of that. But there are more
> than enough companies that are willing to throw away that advantage in
> order to gain market share. See, for example, a well known "easy to use"
> distribution that runs everything as root.

But that's Linspire rather than Linux. They fundementally break the model
that a Linux system is built upon and so it's not a reasonable comparison.

> Were Linux to have become hugely popular (in a dominant market share
> kind of way), I can guarantee that a large part of that market would be
> made up of similarly easy to use distributions.

Ubuntu is aimed at that market and seems to have things right.

The whole Linspire approach is doomed to commercial failure anyway as it's
not what users want. They want to be able to safely share a computer
within the family for home users and to be able to break the "one computer
to one user" model in business.

Jason
http://www.ukfsn.org/	 2Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk